Thursday, July 07, 2005

Antardasa Calculations (Shodashottary dasha)

> Dear Narasimha
> I noticed that, in JHora software the Shodashottary dasha sub
periods
> do not start from its own period. I was reading Shri Goel's book
on
> this. And in the book the sub periods start from its own ..
> Meaning Jup-Jup first etc. But in JHora it is different. Just
wanted
> to bring this to your attention. Please take a look when you get a
> chance.
>
> MS.


I programmed it based on the teachings of our tradition, as conveyed to me by my guru Pt Sanjay Rath.

There are three ways of reckoning antardasas in nakshatra dasas. One is Jupiter's way, one is Rahu's way and one is Ketu's way. Antardasas start with mahadasa in Jupiter's way and they end with mahadasa in Rahu's way and Ketu's way. They go in the reverse order in Rahu's way and in the normal order in Jupiter's way and Ketu's way.


Suppose mahadasas are of A, B, C, D, E, F, G and H.
In Jupiter's way, antardasas in E will go as E, F, G, H, A, B, C and D.
In Ketu's way, antardasas in E will go as F, G, H, A, B, C, D and E.
In Rahu's way, antardasas in E will go as D, C, B, A, H, G, F and E.

In Vimsottari dasa, Jupiter's way is used. In Ashtottari and Tithi Ashtottari dasas, Ketu's way is used. In Shodasottari dasa, Rahu's way is used.

Even my experiements showed to me that the teachings of the tradition work better than just taking antardasas like in Vimsottari dasa in all dasas.

In a future version of JHora, I will consider giving options so that those who follow other authors can get compatible calculations. However, I strongly recommend the above approach.

May Jupiter's light shine on us,
Narasimha

Brihaspati Gayatri, Vishwamitra/Gaathina Rishi Rig Veda 6.62.6